Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book Review - "How Can Man Die Better"

  So this blog is about a book I just finished, "How Can Man Die Better" The Secrets of Isandlwana Revealed by Lt. Colonel Mike Snook ISBN: 978-1-84832-581-4.  While I like the Colonial period, for some reason I have never been a big fan of the Zulu War. However, due to the movie "Zulu" and later "Zulu Dawn" it is one part of the history people know most. But, being a good wargamer, I have tried to educate myself on the Zulu War as time has gone.  I have found this book to a bit of a dry read, not sure why but never-the-less IMHO, a very informative one.

  Unlike Rorke's Drift, the few survivors give no over-all picture of the event, due to it's size and scope. Mr. Snook has tried to fill in some of the gaps with information from both the British and Zulu sides as well as some Common Sense and military logic of the period.

  Some might say he is doing "revisionist" history, but in my opinion, he is attempting to "revise" history, much like what has been done in with "The Battle of Little Bighorn" in recent years, to show a clearer picture of what happened where and when, and to perhaps dispel some of the myths about this battle. This is my opinion of the book and I would say that it is well worth the read and see what you think as to whether the author is successful in his attempt.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment